Sunday, May 9, 2010

Sunday-a time to give thanks (Sorry for late post-internet down til now)

Several of our team went to a Catholic Church last week. The early service starts at 7 and is over at 9. Many of them decided that this week, they would go to 7 o'clock service at 8. So I joined them. The church was totally destroyed in the earthquake except for the altar, which apparently cracked. At some point since then, someone built a rough wooden fram and threw some tarps over the top. We arrived at 8 to a packed crowd. Probably 400 anyway. If you want a seat, you have to bring it with you, since everything was destroyed. We got there late, so we were in the back, in the sun, standing for an hour.

 

I recorded a couple of clips that I hope will turn out when I return. I did not record video, just audio. Let me take a moment to talk about life. We live in a beautiful country with so much of everything that we hold dear. Money, cars, homes--stuff. We pride ourselves for the things we have, and the lifestyle we lead. We dutifully go to church on Christmas and Easter-PRAISE GOD! Here, these people have none of the things we think are important. They have just lost homes, family members, and what little infrastructure they had. Any security the once had is gone. The church was packed. The arms were lifted up. The voices were loud and joyous. They obviously have a different outlook on what is important in life.

 

I like their way.

 

We are planning a trip somewhere. Ross just said we are going to a voodoo temple to have a look see, and then to the beach. That sounds like a good time to me, even though I did not bring swim trunks. As my wife and kids know, however, I probably would not get in anyway, but the sounds and smells will be welcome after the week we have had.

 

The week we have had. Week. Some people commit to this lifestyle for the rest of their lives. I committed a week and learned a lot. But many times I felt like the little boy walking on the beach, throwing starfish back into the ocean. I KNOW I made a difference for that one, but it is so difficult to see the suffering and not be able to help them all. We learned early on to say no in order to maintain some sanity and to keep our strength. It is pointless to wear yourself down helping others, and then not being able to help anyone while you recuperate. Set your pace, then adjust for the heat, and the patient load.

 

I think I'll take my break now. I'll try to post again this evening.

 

LaMar

 

No comments:

Post a Comment