Thursday, May 6, 2010

I HAD A BABY!!!!!!!!!

Okay, I didn't have a baby, a 19 year old Haitian woman had her first baby, but I caught it! Well, I didn't catch it, Sarah Parker's hands around mine guiding them caught the baby. Sarah is a widwife who came down a couple of days before us. She has participated in 6-700 births--or so--and was great encouragement for me. The poor mom wasn't sure she wanted to focus on having the baby girl, and wasn't sure she wanted anyone's hands on her. But I had a job to do and by golly I did it! I think I was beaming when Rocky took my picture.
 
Great day number two was when Keith Flanagan, DVM from Oklahoma and resident of Haiti for 25-30 years showed up at our door. He had 4 DVM students with him who were VERY appreciative of an ice cold coke this morning. It was great to catch up with Keith. I met him on my first trip down here in 1988, and have worked with him several times in the past. His youngest son, Brian, also works in Haiti. Please pray for the farmers of Haiti. Keith says a very rare swine disease has shown up here that causes a polio-like illness in pigs. This could be very devastating for those deaths in particular, but also because pigs that are vaccinated for Classic Swine Fever-a nasty problem, can then die of this other disease, leaving the farmer questioning the value of any vaccination.
 
We had a puppy die this evening. Keith looked at it and diagnosed Parvo Virus. Rehydration via IV was recommended, but we were not willing to waste tubing or fluid on a dog. We tried oral rehydration to no avail.
 
We have a group of students who are part of HODR's, Hands On Disaster Relief. They are from all over and have really been helpful as runners for us and other groups. They clear rubble, they work like fiends. One of our workers today was a fourth year med student from Hong Kong. It did not take us long to press her into service providing medical care. She was awesome.
 
All in all, we had a GREAT day!
 
BTW--mom went home with new baby in her arms a couple hours after she gave birth.
 
Love and God's peace to all,
 
LaMar

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Wow! Wow! I am so proud of you. That must have been amazing! Cara

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so exciting dad. Congratulations!! A testament as well to the fact that there is such a different practice. Most moms in the states are concerned going home after two days, let alone a few hours. It sounds like the days are varied and eventful. Keep up the great work.

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW thats pretty cool you should feel proud! But I hope that your having Fun down there and I will pray for the farmers of Haiti. Tell Keith I say high and that I wish him the best of Luck.
    Alex

    ReplyDelete